ONLINE MATH TOOLS STUDENTS CAN USE
- CUEthink Math Problems App Recommendation | Carpe Ed Tech
Word problems (many from The Math Forum) and prompts for students to break them into 4 clear phases (based on Polya's Problem Solving Techniques): Understand, Plan, Solve and Review. Students' work can be shared within a class.
- Learn Desmos | Michael Fenton
Includes a series of challenges.
- GeoGebra at TMC14 | John Golden
On Twitter, #ggbchat can help.
- Google Sheets: Create Pixel Art | Alice Keeler, Teacher Tech
Using Google Sheets to make pixel art. Teaches lots about spreadsheets; could be used to make visual patterns or do something with proportions or...
- Box Plot Generator
Plotly and Geogebra may also be good for this, say Twitter users.
- MathDice Online Archive
Online version of MathDice game: make a target number from 3 other numbers ("rolled" on "dice") and any operations. Requires latest version of Flash. Instructions can be found at http://www.mathdice.com/kids/fullinstructions.html (note: I can't find the online tutorial game they mention).
- Common Core Standards Explorer | Graphite
Reviews of free and paid software and apps related to different Common Core standards.
ONLINE MATH TOOLS & RESOURCES FOR TEACHER PREP
- How to Create Math Expressions in Google Forms | Guillermo Batista
- Google Forms FINALLY Loves Math | fishing4tech.com
- Math Videos for Error Analysis | Andrew Stadel
The particular emphasis here is on videos for error analysis (students identify mistakes), but there are great tips for making any math video.
- Dynamic Paper | NCTM Illuminations
Make graph paper, number lines, nets, shapes, ...
- MyScript MathPad: Handwriting->LaTeX Generator
Saves as image or LaTeX or MathML. Plays well with Wolfram Alpha for an extra $5.
ONLINE RESOURCES TO HELP STUDENTS UNDERSTAND MATH CONCEPTS
- SolveMe Mobiles
For algebra - build or play puzzles to figure out value of various shapes balanced on a mobile. Rec'd by Tina Cardone.
- Factorization - Visual illustration of divisor pairs | GeoGebraTube
- British Long Division Helper | mathshelper.net
Works much like our long division, but they include all of the dividend and subtract full multiples of the divisor from it. (Longer to write but makes more sense)
- Rates and proportional relationships | Graphing and analyzing proportional relationships | Khan Academy
Dan Meyer says: "Proportional relationships is one of KA's better sets. Many different representations. Analysis, not calculation." KA praise from DM is rare enough to be worth checking out.
OTHER INTERESTING MATH STUFF ONLY AVAILABLE ONLINE
- 10 TED "Math talks to blow your mind" | TED.com
Have not actually watched these yet. All men (sigh)